Thursday, June 20, 2013

So Fresh & So Clean!

Cleaning your makeup brushes will ensure two things: that they will last longer, and that they will keep your face cleaner. Well maintained makeup brushes can last up to 2 years, depending on the quality of the brushes. Cleaning them regularly will keep the bristles fresh and prevent them from drying out, caking together, or just plain falling apart.

Pictured above are my go to cleaning products:
First in line is my MAC Brush Cleanser- I use the brush cleaner primarily for spot cleaning. I keep my MAC brush cleanser with me in my kit because it is great for cleaning product off brushes in between color changes. What I do is soak the bristles with the cleanser and rub back and forth on a paper towel until there is no more makeup coming off of the bristles. Basically you swipe until it's clear.

When I want to deep clean my brushes (which normally is once I get home after a full day of doing makeup, so that my brushes are clean for my next event) I give my brushes a bubble bath!
I saw on Pinterest that using baby shampoo will clean your bristles thoroughly and leave your brushes nice and soft. They were right!
Baby shampoo washes out all of the makeup grime without haveing to use a harsh cleanser.

I used to soak my brushes when I got home with 1 part brush cleanser to 3 parts warm water, but baby shampoo is just as effective and less than half the cost!

What you want to do is you squirt a small amount of baby shampoo into a glass bowl (or whatever you decide to soak your brushes in) and fill it with warm water. You then one by one swirl your brushes in the bowl and massage the bristles and let soak for a good 5-10 minutes. Massage the bristles once more, make sure there is no more soap on-or-in them, reshape, and place on a towel in a row to let dry overnight. My brush babies love their bubble baths!

The last item pictured above is rubbing alcohol! I use rubbing alcohol to clean all my lipsticks, you can pour some onto a tissue and swipe your lipsticks & pencils or pour it into a spray bottle and spray directly onto the product you want to sanitize. I also use rubbing alcohol to wipe down all my containers and the inside of my kit. I even use it to dab my liquid liner pens with. I am a HUGE germaphobe and I prefer to be safe than sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I was looking for a better way to clean my brushes and viola! Thanks love!

    ReplyDelete